Wednesday, January 10, 2007

It begins with the blood of a wolf....

Ok soooooo this is post number one and let me start out by saying, "Yes I am a total noob to WOW" but through my struggles I have managed to get to level 35 (roughly 1/2 way to the new max level of 70) and I wanted to share some of my thoughts on the game.

Roughly a month ago, my wife says to me "Babe I wanna play WOW." at which I was like "Oh hell no! I've heard that game is worse then crack!" She waved it away and said "Seriously. I want to try it." So I downloaded the free version (10-day trial) burned a DVD and installed.

After a lot of updates we began our journey on the PVP Alliance Server DuneMaul.

She chose a Mage and I chose a Warrior.

We fumbled through the beginning and killed a bagillion kobolds and wolves. And rapidly leveled up to 6. We were feeling prettygood about ourselves. And even though there was a lot of running and grinding (killing lots of the same things for XP [eXPerience]) it was all very fun.

And it was during these early levels where I saw the kindness around me. For example, I wandered too far down the road and took on more then me and wifey could handle and out of nowhere a level 30 Paladin comes to our aid and saved us a long walk from the graveyard. It was while chatting with this player I realized how cool it all was.

Time after time there was act of kindness after act of kindness from my fellow Alliance. Don't get me wrong there was a few times where someone was pretty jacked to me calling me "n00b" and worse, but it was only like 5% of the people I encountered. Everyone else has been helpful, explaining things, allowing us to adventure with them, etc. EENNIIGGMMAA is one such player.

After these RAOKs (Random Acts of Kindness) I realized for me, the common goals and the comradery between me and these complete strangers was deeply appealing and refreshing. In the real world if I walked up to someone and asked him to help me out and take an hour or so of his time to do something he's done a hundred times before, he'd most likely bail out and say he can't help. In WOW more times then not, people really help.

I told my wife, "If people were half as nice in the real world as they are in WOW, the world would be a better place..."

No comments: